Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

( Mommy and Wyatt on Daddy's birthday)
Days pass so quickly during this phase of life and, while they are jammed with meaningful and memorable moments, I've had trouble finding time to capture them in a blog post.
I woke up early this morning to do some work, but I can't let the morning escape me without writing about Gayle and my Mom on Mother's Day.
So much of the meaningful moments in my life come from my kids, and those moments are so often created only because of the tender loving care that Gayle gives to them. Gayle is ruthless and tireless in loving on Austin and Wyatt. Sometimes that love comes in the form of a long embrace on the couch as the kids wake up from their night slumber. Sometimes it means picking Wyatt up after he falls on the driveway, because he got so excited that he was running more quickly than his legs and balance-center are ready for. Sometimes it means reading another story, even though she's read it 100 times. Sometimes it means disciplining Austin for crossing the line with Wyatt from big brother to big brother-bully. Sometimes it means letting Austin and Wyatt pick at each other, however annoying to Gayle, because that's how kids learn. Sometimes it means delaying her own lunch so that she can take care of the hungry boys. Sometimes it means changing the 5th poopy diaper of the day. Sometimes it means maintaining patience at disobedience, despite having provided correction for the same thing five times that day. Sometimes it means changing sheets that are soaked with pee. Sometimes it means letting the boys play in the sink, even though she knows she'll have to clean up their mess. Sometimes ...
Gayle takes on motherhood like a swan swims - she is beautiful to watch. "The boys" fail so often to say thanks to Mommy, in part because they have no idea how much she loves them. So today, for all the love that Gayle gives--seen and unseen--I'll say it for them. Thanks, Mommy, for teaching us how to live, to play, to laugh, to cry, to read, to pee in the potty, to run, to bike, to draw, to sing. Thanks Mommy for everything. You are our everything. Happy Mother's Day. Austin and Wyatt.
(Mommy with boys during spontaenous front lawn picnic.)
Gayle has been doing this tirelessly for over 4 years. My own mommy has been doing it for over 34 years! I've come to realize that Motherhood never stops, and that I take full advantage of my Mom's continuing love for me. So quick am I to turn to her for advice, for theological discussion and counseling, and yes, for love. So much of who I am comes from the tireless love my Mom gave to me. Yes Mom, in so many ways YOU are MY everything.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!

1 comment:

Krisha Brooks said...

What a sweet post! I loved it!!