If ever the day warrants another post, it is today, Austin's first day of kindergarten. Last night, I prayed with Austin and Wyatt in their bedroom before bed, each resting a head on one of my outstreched arms. I began to bawl as I thanked the Lord for my boys, and prayed over Austin as he began his first day of school. I prayed that God go with him each step of the way, that God open doors for him, and that God give him courage. I thanked God in advance for answering my prayers.
I'm wrestling with my own emotion over this great right of passage. Am I scared for what the future brings for Austin? Yes. Am I sad to think about how many years with Austin are now considered our past? Yes. Am I filled with joy and hope about Austin's future? Am I scared of Austin losing his innocence? Yes. Am I scared of the world beating down on him? Yes, it's all of that, and certainly more. When it all comes down to it, I'm simply overwhelmed by what a precious gift Austin is, and I'm thankful that I get to be his Dad.
Austin displayed some anxiety a few weeks ago about going to school. It alleviated after Gayle took him to the school and met his teacher. It also helped that Lucy, who is a year ahead of Austin, told him that school is fun. I really think from that point forward, Austin's anxiety turned to excitement. Here Austin is with his little angel.
Austin, if you read this blog someday, I want you to know how proud I am of you, and how much I love you, just the way you are. And I can't wait to love you, just the way you will be. I am proud of how you are a good older brother to Wyatt and Vivi. I am proud of how you love to learn. I am proud of how you can read, and play sports. Whatever you do, you make me proud.
Here's to the start of a great new adventure. I'm looking forward to being a part of it.
You go, Austin.
No comments:
Post a Comment