Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Blog Goes On - But For What Purpose?

As you can see, the last time I posted on the blog was in late February, and that was only an article about how much water you need to boil your pasta. As the comments to the blog became fewer in number, as I realized that my own parents don't read it (ostensibly because they can't figure out how to get to it), as I realized that my own in-laws don't read it (call it generational), as Gayle is slow to get me the pictures I want to post (too busy), and as I began to feel repetitive in my postings, and as I thought about how much time it takes to do even one of the simplest posts, I quit blogging. Then a few people asked me why I stopped, and I looked over the blog with Gayle and saw how neat it was to see old posts and pictures, and Gayle told me we could make a book out of it someday. I started thinking on my runs about why I posted. In the end, I decided there is no one reason - there are several - and if I cater to any particular reason, then I'm likely to dry up. For example, if I post just for you, then I try too hard to make long, informative, interesting posts, and end up not posting about the small details of my kids' life. If I post just for me, then it's interesting really to nobody but me, and even not even that at times. If I post only for my kids, well, there's only so much you can write about Austin pooping in the potty (actually you'd be surprised about how much I could write about that). So in the end, sometimes I post for my kids, sometimes I post for you, and sometimes I post for me. Sometimes a combination of all three at once. So I'm going to quit worrying about whether a post is interesting to you. For whatever reason I have to post, I'm just going to do it. For me, for my kids, for you .... The Blog Marches On.

2 comments:

Krisha Brooks said...

I'm so glad you guys decided to keep blogging! I am a religious reader of your blog and love to hear the stories about your whole family..it makes me feel like I still live in Denver near you guys and I'm watching the kids grow up. I decided that blogging would be my journal about life and specifically my children...I look back on old posts and laugh about stories that I've already forgotten about. I found this great website called Blog2Print that will bind your blogs in a book for permanent keeping. I'm in the middle of getting one made right now, so I'll let you know how it turns out. But I think I will really love it when John is turning 18 and I'm looking back on his obsession of Melmo (a.k.a. Elmo) when he was just a toddler. :)

Amy said...

I like it when you post. I catch up about every month or so, so it is always refreshing for me to learn more about Ry and G and Austin and Wyatt....and it lets us into that mind of yours...wow....(sarcasm)...! Keep it comin!