Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Boys

Time passes quickly, and the boys don't quit growing up, both to my great delight and sadness. We've gotten into a pretty good routine of me coming home at night with enough time to play a few minutes with Wyatt, then put him to bed at around 7. Then we eat and Austin usually has his second dinner. Then I play with Austin for awhile, then put him to bed. Then .. Gayle and I work! Sweet huh? In more detail, at this moment in time:
Austin: Continues with preschool three times a week. He seems to really enjoy it, and has become very proud of the art projects he brings home. Gayle had the good idea of hanging the projects up on a wall in his room, and he shows them to me when I get home. We talk about what the project is and how he did it. He's always very proud. Austin had a field trip to a fire station with his preschool class, and since then, he's oftentimes donned his own homemade firefighter's outfit. All on his own, he found boots to wear, puts on the fireman's hat he got from the fieldtrip, and wears his orange backpack. It's just adorable.
Lately, Austin and I have played a lot of football, baseball, and soccer together. He's getting so good at all of them. In the last two weeks, his catching skills have really improved thanks to a lot of time he and Gayle have spent on it.
Austin can count to 20, but usually misses 13 (superstitious? We're working on it). He's starting to understand addition, and asked me what "math" means. He's got an unbelievable memory, and can recite the nursery rhymes we read every night. He's got a curious mind, and lately has been very interested in volcanoes. He watches videos of eruptions on You Tube with Gayle.
Wyatt Wyatt's really come into his own. As Gayle describes him, he has higher highs than Austin, but lower lows too. The highs are great. The lows are tough. But he's just adorable. I feel badly that it's oftentimes hard to play with Wyatt when I'm trying to play with Austin. If I try to focus on Wyatt, Austin interferes. But we'll find the balance soon enough. Like all younger brothers, Wyatt will probably do everything even earlier than Austin did. Wyatt can now say many words - over 50 of the 100 in his "First Words" book. My favorite is how he says his bunny's name "Flopsy." He says "Oppy." Melts my heart. He makes sounds like a dog, fire truck, and monkey. He loves to laugh, and really loves to be tickled. I live for the guttural laugh I'll get out of him when I come home at night and tickle him.
I have just one picture from my phone. I took this a few weekends ago when Gayle was doing a photo shoot and I took the boys to the playground. Wyatt ran into a piece of equipmnet intentionally, thus the blood on his mouth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm thrilled the boys are so close. Reminds me of your 4 kids! Keep up the hard work Ry and G. Love PaPa