Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Marathoner

One of my great joys as a husband is to watch Gayle take on new challenges and conquer them. Her photography business is in full swing, she's an outstanding mother of two, and now ... she's a marathoner! Gayle's training started around March, when she ran the River Run in Jacksonville (finished in top 10% overall). Then she ran the Bolder Boulder (and recieved a top-20 finsiher's medal). Then she ran two half marathons at around a 7:50 or 7:55 pace (the second of which she finished 14th out of 600 or so), and then she geared up for the Denver Marathon. With Barry as her Coach, and me as her supporter, Gayle got in as many workouts as she could. Some she enjoyed, some were painful. But regardless, they prepared her to run the Denver Marathon last Sunday.
Fortunatey, the weather was absolutely perfect. In fact, Denver enjoyed near record highs that day, around 83 degrees. But it was 43 when she started, and in the 60s when she finished. I met our friend Dan Eakin and watched Gayle go by at mile 5. Then I saw her again at Mile 10 and she was just cruising along with, as always, a smile on her face. Then I met our dear friend Lauren McMonagle at Mile 13, where we saw Gayle go by. Then Gayle looped back again and we saw Gayle at Mile 15. There I started running with Gayle, avoiding all the aid stations, and cutting any corner I could. Although she had to stop in the bathroom way more times than she hoped for (at least 3 when I was running with her - all for over 2 minutes), Gayle kept running, and running, and running. At around Mile 17, Dan Eakin, Laura Eakin, and Laura's brother Chris joined us on their bikes and rode alongside of us for several miles. Laura is a seasoned marathon runner, and Gayle cannot thank her enough for her company and encouragement. After the Eakin's left us around Mile 22, fatigue started to set in a bit. But after a brief minute of walking, Gayle was off and running again. Special thanks to Barry Brooks, who provided on-the-fly text message advice in response to my questions. How many people get that? ;)
I ditched Gayle at Mile 25 and told her I'd see her at the finish. I did manage, however, to snap a picture of Gayle running under the 26 mile marker. Then I ran to the finish and, about 100 yards in advance, saw Gayle. I got into the road and gave Gayle a High 5, a moment I will never forget. She crossed the finish line with hands held high, finishing in under 4 hours (3 hours, 57 minutes), an outstanding time for a first marathon.
I'm so proud of her, and know the memories will last both of us a lifetime. Gayle and I both know that we won't be able to run forever. But for as long as God lets us, we're going to enjoy it.
Our Bike Escort Service - terrible picture, but great Company and Support. Thanks Eakins.
GREAT JOB GAYLE - YOU MAKE ME PROUD.

4 comments:

sandra mae said...

oh, Yeah! I have been eagerly anticipating a blog about Gayle's marathon-- what an amazing accomplishment! you guys are so wonderful for each other-- always encouraging one another, sacrificing for one another, and celebrating such great moments together!
thanks for sharing with the rest of us--

Unknown said...

An accomplishment you will never forget and must be proud of now and always. Fantastic. Gayle! Gary

Carissa said...

Way to go Gayle!! I love how you are happily floating toward the finish line...you make it look so easy. We're really proud of you!

Krisha Brooks said...

What a great blog about Gayle's marathon! The pictures are great too...only Gayle can run 26.2 miles with a smile on her face! We are so proud of you!