Saturday, July 4, 2009

Eating the Carrots

Austin continually amazes me with his imagination. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine things growing up like he does. He's got an imaginary friend, Jackson, who he usually talks to when he's either playing basektball or guitar. "Good shot Jackson," he'll say, or "play louder." He's turned his own toothbrush into an "electric toothbrush," and forces me to turn the button on when I brush his teeth, and turn the button off when we're done. Last night he put the toothbrush away without turning the "button" off. I told him he forgot to turn it off, to which he responded with a smile "It goes off automatically." Oh, now I know.
Yesterday Gayle took the boys to the zoo and bought them a package of zoo animal figurines on their way out. 12 bucks. Are you kidding me? For figurines? I'm certain that these figurines will soon wind up all over the house, scattered, lonely and forgotten. But for now, they are the center of Austin's imaginary world. Last night, Austin was lining up the animals for a "race." They were in a perfect line across the counter, all facing the same direction. Later, he had them standing in a line, one behind the other, and that was because they were waiting in line for a baseball game. As I was cleaning the kitchen and putting away carrots, I asked Austin if he wanted one. He said yes. After I gave him one, he asked for another. Then he asked for "six more." Why I asked? It was then I noticed that he was trying to give a carrot to each animal to eat. I told him "No, two's enough." He pouted at first, but came up with a brilliant solution - see picture.
Gotta love the imagination.

No comments: