Saturday, July 4, 2009

Reunion Reunion (5k)

This morning Gayle represented the family in the first ever "Reunion Reunion," our neighborhood's version of the "Bolder Boulder." This was a 5k that cost $25 bucks. Gayle and I were hesitant for either of us to enter, thinking that $25 bucks was a lot to pay to run 3 miles. But upon further reflection, we realized that it was cool that our community had put a race together for the 4th of July, and that we should support the same.
So we ran to the park this morning at 7:30 - Gayle worked up a good sweat and was ready for the start. Her goal was to finish high among the women. The course was 2 1/2 laps around the park. After the first lap, Gayle was solidly in third - overall. There was a good triathelete in first, then a tall athletic looking basketball player, and then ... Gayle! "Go Mommy. Go, Go, Go!" Austin cheered. I pushed the stroller back and forth across the park, cheering Gayle on at every possible turn. From a distance, I was proud to see Gayle cruising around with a long, fast stride. After the second lap, it was clear that Gayle had first overall woman solidly locked up. But there were 2 good-looking runners closing the gap. I encouarged Gayle on, telling her that she looked strong and to keep turning her feet over. With a quarter mile to go, I saw the first guy behind Gayle turn on the jets, and I told Gayle he was coming. While at first Gayle didn't respond, she suddenly found another gear of her own, and cruised to a third overall finish, and FIRST WOMAN OVERALL.
For her efforts, Gayle won a free round of golf at Buffalo Run (golf course near our house), a free bucket of range balls, and some other things valued at about $40 bucks.
Congrats to Gayle! She's just thankful for a body that allows her to run; we know how fragile and fleeting our bodies are. But while we can, we're going to enjoy them - I'm so very proud of Gayle.
Below is the first place finisher with Gayle. Great way to spend the 4th of July in the great country that we live in.
Happy 4th!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Gayle- how did I spend a whole weekend with you and not know that you got FIRST in that race? MAN you're AWESOME!! Way to go my bff! Love you guys1