Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Saxbys

Two weekends ago (running a little behind on the posts) the Saxbys came into town with one of their four kids, this one their beautiful adopted daughter Anabelle, the most recent addition to their family. Saxbys came in on Friday night, and were gone by Sunday late afternoon, but we jammed lots in in that span of time. The Saxbys brought a whole lot of love, laughter, and adventure. As I wrote the Saxbys after they left, good friends love and encourage one another, and build each other up. The Saxbys took great interest in our lives, and affirmed us in a way I strive to do for others, but often fall so patehtically short. Dan was like a magnet to Austin, and never hesitated to embrace him in his arms, carry him around, and generally treat him as one of his own. I want my kids to feel such love from others than just Gayle and me, and it was very nice to see Amy and Dan both love on the kids in such a way. Gayle and I have often commented that we're good with our own kids, but not as much with others'. Dan and Amy have never been that way, so it didn't surprise me to see Austin and Wyatt take to them as they did. We had a good time sharing child-rearing stories with the Saxbys, and assuredly took in more helpful tips than we gave out. I really enjoyed listening to Amy talk about Anabell's adoption, and the unique struggles and joys she's brought them. Dan is a phenomenal guitar player, and I tried to pick up a few tips from him over the weekend. More than anything, however, I realized how much I stink and how much more I need to practice if I ever want to be any good. Dan is also a cyclist, and therefore understood me waking up early on Saturday morning to get a long ride in before our hike together (I made my goal of getting a 3 hour ride in, and back by 8:45). We hiked in Boulder, and then enjoyed a great lunch at Sunshine Cafe (I think I totally got the name wrong - Gayle, please edit). Saturday night we ate dinner at Protos Pizza with Amy's brother Chris. Sunday morning was Church at City Pres. I came home immediatey thereafter to cook dinner, give the boys a nap, and do some cleaning, while the rest of the gang headed to lunch with Amy's brother Chris and to see his condo. Photo shoot with Anabelle, then quick dinner, and the Saxbys were off. Gone, but not forgotten. Not even close.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for an amazing weekend. It was an honor for us to enter into your lives for 3 days- and I don't say that lightly- you guys mean so so much to us. Forever friends are hard to come by! Your kiddos are precious...and the life your are living is sweet...I hope that they see the way you give to others and grow up to be the same way---we parent by example right? Scary, but true- and you guys are diong a great job of it. We love you dearly! Next time lets meet in Cincy!