Sunday morning, Barry and I woke at oh-dark-thirty (4:30), forced down a waffle and banana, and headed back to the Reservoir. Unlike last year, I slept through the night, and was more excited to race than I was nervous and dreading it. We got body-marked, put our gear in the transition area, hit the bathroom, said hi to my buddy Dan, said a prayer, and before we knew it, were standing on the beach ready to begin the race.
I had a better swim than last year, but still relatively slow. I got out of the water finishing the 1.2 mile swim in 38:44. I had a little trouble stuffing my pockets with everything I needed, but soon was off to the races on the bike. Actually, this year my goal was to take it easier on the bike and have more left for the run. I think I partially accomplished that goal. When you've trained for a race as big as a half-ironman, and then tapered for it, what feels easy and slow at first is actually pretty hard. Still, I forced myself to take it easy, at least easier than last year, and although my bike split was faster than last year (22 mph for the 56 miles), I was fresher than I was last year. But still, I was tired.
My run started with some cramping in my calves, but I got that under control, and felt like I was going to have a great run. Gayle and the boys arrived for the run, and saw me just as I started the run. It was so good to see them, even though Gayle asked me if I was on my second lap.
I'll let my run splits do most of the talking - as you can see, I was more or less strong until I hit mile 10, when I suffered pretty excruciating cramps in my calves and quads. I could handle the pain, but my muscles simply seized so badly, I was running like a stone man, and ended up having to walk, run, walk, run. I was so mad, and lost about 6 minutes those last 3 miles. 6 minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but minutes are hard to come by, even in a race as long as a half-ironman.
Run splits:
7:44 (felt a little crampy, but got it under control)
7:47 solid
8:23 (took my time through the aid station to make sure to get enough liquids in)
9:35 (spent 1:45 in the bathroom going #2 – never had to do that before in a race)
7:48 – back on pace, feeling good
8:09 – That’s fine
8:25 – That’s fine
8:34 – I can live with that
8:19 – great
8:26 – great – So I’m through 10 miles, hanging in there pretty well – on pace for about a 5:05 overall, which I would have been very happy with.
9:09 –10:24 – basically debilitating cramps, had to walk for a minute, and then was able to run again
10:34 – same thing
I finished with an overall time of 5 hours, 9 minutes, and 33 seconds, about 5 minutes faster than last year. I'm happy with my time, and abundantly thankful to Barry who, once again, put together a training program for me that worked me hard, and prepared me for the race. Barry tirelessly and patiently answered all my questions, helped me through my doubts, and spurred me on to a strong race. I fully value and appreciate all the work you put into the race for me. I also love how kind you are with Austin and Wyatt - they love you! I'm pretty sure you answered every question Austin had for you about your bike and tools, and never seemed to mind Wyatt, even when he was within a few feet of your disc wheels. Just about everything I know about triathlon, I have learned from you.
Thanks of course to Gayle and the boys, for helping motivate me along the way, encourage me to do what brings me alive, and for cheering me on during the race and kissing my salty face afterwards. Thanks to Kevin, for shaving his legs in solidarity. Thanks to Marty for asking me about training, even though I know you could give a rip. Thanks to Dad for the Sprint Triathlon support (see earlier post) and to Mom, I guess, for your inspirational voicemail the night before the race ("Hi Ryan, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I'm upset though that you're racing. It's too long. And you should be thinking of me too. I'm teaching Sunday School tomorrow. Ok, talk to you later.")
Will I be back next year? To be determined.

Here's Wyatt strolling along the beach, sometime during the middle of my run.
It's easier to push yourself to run hard when you have a hot wife waiting to greet you at the end.

Barry and I after the race. Look at the salt on my shorts! Um, I think I need salt tablets.

Me and my little Wy-Guy after the race.
4 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE those pictures of Austin running...he looks like a champ already! What a great recap and how exciting to see your great progress in the triathlon world!
Way to go Ryan! The Kaps are proud of you! I hope you washed your salty jersey.
That's my Ryan! Great job, not only with the training and race but with the priorities you continue to place in your life. All four of you kids are leading by example, and even if Mom said "It's too long" I know that she is proud as well. All during the time I spent training for marathons she would always tell me the same thing. Love ya....DAD
Yeah Ryno! We are so happy for you and proud of you! How refreshing that Austin is imitating his father do something wonderful---you should be proud! Love from Cincy- the Saxby clan
Post a Comment