In the early ninetiess, Jimmy Connors, at age forty, made a run to the semifinals of the US Open. He happened to be, coincidentally, the same age as our father. "See boys," Dad told us, "I'm just now entering my prime." After the Open we'd go out and play tennis and just like Conors, Pops played like he'd just found a new gear he never knew he had before. Later that decade, Cal Ripken, another super-forty year old, set the record for most consecutitve games played in MLB and hit a home run in the All Star game (Aaron you might remember that one. It was back when the Orioles were good). When deciding the stickball teams, Dad would say "Look guys, Cal Ripken is forty three years old and he's still playing shortstop and hitting home runs. I'm pitching today and you're not going to hit me." Now, at age 57, Pops is as strong as ever. He's taken up biking and flying. He continues to run well, and will still probably beat me in Ping Pong when I come home. Amazingly, he's recently become a very good golfer, to the point where he may be the best driver in the family. Watching the British Open, I hear the commentators express their amazement at how good Norman looks and how in shape he keeps himself in. I agree, he is in great shape. But on the contrary, i'm amazed at how much older he looks than Pops, four years his senior. And I can't help but think that if Pops saw Norman out running on the beach, he'd catch him, congratulate him for his great rounds of golf, then ease on by him. And so when we all recongregate for a labor day reunion, I can already here Dad saying, "Guys, Greg Normal led the British Open for 56 holes. I'm playing from the tips with you." He'll play from the tips, and I have no doubt he'll play well. But, Dad, you've gotten it wrong now. The mantra is no longer yours to recite. It's Norman's. "If Lessmann can continue to run, continue to play tennis, continue to bike to work, and revolutionize his golf game at 57, then I can go out and play a couple good rounds in England. Big deal" And so he has. And I'm not surprised.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Tribute to Dad (and Greg Norman)
Because I'm not a great writer, I have no compunction about posting others' ideas. I really liked this one from Kevin, having rooted all morning for Greg Norman to win the British at age 53. God willing, I've got some good years left!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Welcome to blogdom, Ry & G.
This Greg Norman story is pretty special. It gives me hope. You see, I have basically given up golfing except for either 1. a free company outing or 2. playing my brother (in which case I will win or die trying. No, I will win.). My family deserves and gets my free time on Saturdays, so the clubs are the garage. So, why does it give me hope? Because in 22 years I still could be playing the best golf of my life.
However, I was saddened to hear that he and Chris Evert divorced their spouses to marry each other. This was not what wedding vows should be reduced to... but again, gives me assurance that no one is perfect and we all need grace.
Way to go, Greg. Hope and assurance in a matter of 4 days.
Post a Comment